Industry > Business

Ferrari ups its financial forecast for the rest of the year on the back of strong Q3 results

It’s not surprising to see the luxury automaker do well in these crazy times

The ultra-rich who can afford Ferraris will always be able to buy another one, no matter what happens around them. PHOTO FROM FERRARI

Crisis? What crisis? While many people across the globe are battling massive increases in the cost of living and insane inflation rates, it seems the world of rich petrolheads is doing just fine. That’s if the latest results released by Italian sportscar maker Ferrari are anything to go by. Third-quarter figures released on Wednesday paint a picture of high profitability and an outlook that’s so positive that the firm has adjusted its forecast for the rest of the year onward.

These four cars were the brand's strongest sellers during the third quarter of the year. PHOTO FROM FERRARI

Over the three months ending in September, Ferrari delivered a total of 3,188 cars, an increase of 15.9% or 438 cars compared to the same period of last year. The company is crediting the launch of the 296 GTB and the 812 Competizione for this positive result, with the Portofino M and the family of F8 models further propping up sales.

Shipments of the SF90 were lower than before, and in total, 81% of all prancing horses sold were pure combustion-engine models, with the remaining 19% made up of the firm’s hybrids.

Most cars were sold to speed freaks in the Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region, where 1,291 Ferraris found new owners. That’s actually 1% less than the year before, but still impressive. Not as impressive as the stellar growth in Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan, though. Sales there were up an astonishing 73.1%, presumably influenced by fewer COVID restrictions being in place and people being able to get out more again. Deliveries to the Americas were also up, with 905 shiny vehicles finding new garages. Compared to the 706 that were sold there last year, this is a 28.1% increase. The rest of APAC, which includes our shores, saw 15% sales growth, with 561 cars leaving showrooms.

We're expecting the Purosangue alone to help skyrocket the brand's revenue. PHOTO FROM FERRARI

In total, Ferrari has sold 9,894 cars so far this year. Net revenues for Q3 stood at a cool €1.25 billion (P72.14 billion), an increase of 19.6% from last year. The Italians made the most money from cars and spare parts at €1.057 billion (P60.94 billion), while the rest came from engine sales (to the likes of Maserati) as well as sponsorship, commercial, and brand activities. Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization (EBITDA) stood at €35 million (P25.08 billion), with the EBITDA margin standing at 34.8%.

The company is so buoyant and positive about its revenue outlook that it even adjusted it upward, and now expects to make €5 billion (P288.27 billion) instead of €4.9 billion (P282.51 billion) once the financial year is over. That forecast assumes that production of the Daytona SP3 and the Purosangue SUV will commence before the end of the year and demand will stay strong, which so far looks quite likely. If it comes true, then Ferrari would increase its annual earnings by a tidy €700 million (P40.29 billion). Not a bad result.

Frank Schuengel

Frank is a German e-commerce executive who loves his wife, a Filipina, so much he decided to base himself in Manila. He has interesting thoughts on Philippine motoring. He writes the aptly named ‘Frankly’ column.