Most people think car ownership is easy. You just buy a vehicle, fill it with gasoline, drive it to your destination and then park it. We wish it really were that straightforward. But it isn’t. There are just too many things about using an automobile that can be pretty stressful.
And no, we’re not talking about complicated stuff like a transmission change or an engine overhaul somewhere down the road. We’re referring to small, seemingly trivial issues that we just choose to ignore, but which we’d actually pay to go away.
So here are 12 simple car hacks we’ve collected on Instagram. May they add convenience and relief to your everyday motoring life.
1. Use an organizer to keep things, um, organized. “With so much time spent in the car, wouldn’t it make sense to have everything you need, in a place you can quickly find it?” —esurance
2. Use the air-conditioning vent to cool drinks and candy bars. “When it’s so hot that your favorite chocolate bar melts and your can of Pepsi turns into a hot cuppa, you gotta take drastic action.” —1sultanahmed
3. Use the beverage holder to clutch your food. “This makes excellent wrap holders.” —jhnazrn
4. Secure your smartphone while charging it. “This pocket organizer is just perfect for your car.” –palautogarage
5. Keep an eye on the little one. “The kid transit mirror is a great product if you are a driving mommy or daddy with a rear-facing baby at the back.” —thaa_nasir
6. Keep the cabin smelling clean and fresh. “Check out my super easy, DIY car diffuser. Just glue some pom-poms on a wooden clothespin, add a few drops of your essential oil, and clip to the vent. No more toxic air fresheners.” —lailasessentials15
7. Never lose tiny metal articles again. “I’m a big fan of magnets. I’m also a big fan of preventing the viral spread of hairpins inside the car.” —icanprobablydothat
8. Use the cupholders to hold more than cups. “Apparently, I’ve been using my cupholders the wrong way. They are obviously hummus holes.” —sammehhig
9. Say goodbye to cluttered, dirty cupholders. “Car hack for keeping cupholders clean.” —unicorn_polar
10. Clear oxidized headlights like you brush your teeth. “Headlights all fogged up? Break out the toothpaste.” —pepboysauto
11. Touch up microscopic imperfections. “No paint for chips and scratches? Use nail polish of the closest color.” —wypeapp
12. Know where to position your car next to the gas pump. “Ever had the issue of not knowing which side your gas tank is on? Look no further than your fuel gauge. The arrow on the icon points to the side of the car with the gas tank.” —carwashexpress